Monday, January 19, 2015

Onwards and Upwards!

 
Made it up to the cabin!


What an exciting, momentous, heart-wrenching weekend this is for N's Momma! He is on his first campout withOUT Daddy! Not only that, it is a 2 niter, and it was a 2 mile/3.5 hr. hike up an icy mountain in freezing rain to get there! He packed a backpack up for the first time, and Dad said that he was such a trooper. He had problems with his grippers breaking off of his boots in the icy patches (apparently we need a serious upgrade for him in that department!), but he kept on a' trudgin. I am extremely thankful, proud, and worried about him!



My friend asked if I was concerned about any new knowledge he would come back with considering that he is surrounded by middle and high school guys. My answer? Oh yes; especially considering he is still so loveably naive and  his logic is very black and white. His Dad gets irritated when I make the comparison, but my sweet boy has a similar personality to the character of Forrest Gump. Or for those Eleanor Porter fans, he is my "Just David". He is so sweet and compassionate. While I do not want him to ever ever lose that, I realize that to survive this sinful world, he will need to become a bit more thick skinned and jaded. So, yes, I'm concerned, but yet, I feel like this could very well be the social skills boot camp that my boy needs.

He will be back home tonight, and I am anxious to hear all that has expired these past 3 days. What a difference 2 years of proper treatment makes! 
Thank you, Jesus!

Blessings,
Hillary

1 comment:

  1. Hillary,

    I'm rejoicing with you. There is nothing like a winter camp out to cultivate character and perseverance. Surely he will return with memories and stories to tell. N is definitely not a just a boy but a young man these days! I agree whole heartily, while he does need grit to get by, let's pray he never loses his sweet sensitivity and caring personality.You have much to be proud of!

    Theresa Miller

    ReplyDelete